Thursday, December 27, 2012

Meet Charlie....


There have been a series of post regarding holiday emergencies over the past few weeks.  Many times these stories do not have a happy ending.  I thought that I would share one that happened to me over the holiday weekend.

My family lives in Stevens Point and I knew that we had many different stops planned and that there would be a variety of foods consumed over the weekend.  My dog is just the perfect height to counter surf and he is allergic to many, many things.  Did I mention that he is a red bone coonhound? This means that when his nose is on, his ears are off.  Although I knew that he would miss seeing and playing with his dog and human cousins, I decided to board him so I would have one less thing to worry about, plus I know he is spoiled and loved when he is boarding.

Well, let’s just say my stress free animal weekend was anything but.  Enter into the picture, Charlie.  Charlie is the newest addition to my sister’s family.  He is an adorable poodle mix and 99% of the time, a perfect puppy.   The other 1%, not so much.  He is all puppy! 

When we returned to my sister’s, I could tell something was not right.  They were all on edge.  Then the news came, “we think Charlie ate a sock”.  They too just arrived home from her in-laws and when the kids were taking off their shoes, Charlie stole a sock off of her son’s foot and ran under the tree.  He older son tried to get it but it was too late, Charlie ate the sock.

How lucky is my sister to have a sibling who happens to be a Certified Veterinary Technician with many years of emergency experience. 

Charlie was promptly given some hydrogen peroxide via a sports water bottle and seconds later up came the sock…. Along with his supper and a few treats.  Although my nephews were very worried and scared for their pup Charlie, they learned a valuable lesson and I was glad I could be there to help out. 






For a free Animal Emergency Guide please visit our website at www.gbaec.com


(This article was submitted by L. Schuh of the FVARC)


No comments:

Post a Comment